Hotel Occupancy & Short Term Rentals

The City Hotel Occupancy (HOT) Tax and Short-term Rental Tax is paid by hotel and short-term rental occupants for lodging and related services of less than 30 consecutive days. The owner/operator is responsible for collecting the tax from the occupant. A link to the online HOT/Short-Term Rental Portal and Short-Term Rental Permit Application is linked at the bottom of this page.

Who has to pay the Hotel Occupancy Tax & Short-term Rental Tax?
The occupant of the room in a hotel or short-term rental located within Haltom City must pay the tax. Hotel operators, including but not limited to owners, proprietors, lessee, or any other person operating such a hotel or rental property, are required to collect the tax from the occupant and remit the tax to the City.

In addition to remitting HOT taxes, short-term rentals must register with the city to receive a permit and legally operate.

What is the Hotel Occupancy Tax rate?
Haltom City imposes a Hotel Occupancy Tax of 7 percent. The tax must be paid on the occupancy, or the right of occupancy, of room(s) in a hotel or short-term rental property.

Who is exempt from the tax?

  • A permanent resident – One who occupies or has the right to occupy any room or rooms in the hotel for at least 30 consecutive days.
  • The United States – A person conducting Federal Government business when room rent and taxes are paid directly by the United States government.
  • The State of Texas – A person conducting State of Texas Government business when room rent and taxes are paid directly by the State. This exemption applies to Texas public schools and political subdivisions of the State.
  • Short-term rentals are not offered any exemptions at this time. If you have questions, please call Haltom City Planning & Community Development Department at 817-222-7730.

Are non-profits and charities exempted from Hotel Occupancy Taxes?
No. Only those listed above are exempt from Hotel Occupancy Taxes. Non-profits are exempt from sales taxes but not from Hotel Occupancy Taxes.

When is the tax due?
The tax is due the last calendar day of the month following the date of collection. Penalties will accrue thereafter.

How often do I file a return?
Hotel Occupancy Tax returns and payments are due monthly. A return is required regardless of whether a hotel or rental property earned revenue during the period.

Is the Hotel Occupancy Tax & Short-term Rental Tax different from sales tax?
Yes. Sales taxes are collected by the Texas Comptroller based on State statutes. The Texas Comptroller collects sales taxes on behalf of the State, City and the County.

Hotel Occupancy Taxes and Short-term Rental Taxes are collected by Haltom City for businesses within City limits, based on Haltom City ordinances.

City Contract with HdL Companies
Haltom City recently contracted with HdL Companies, located in Fresno, CA, to provide assistance to the City’s short-term rentals for all Hotel Occupancy Tax related matters, including hotel tax permit, filing of returns, and payment of taxes and general support. Permits only apply to short term rentals.

How do I file and pay my taxes online?
You will need an account number and PIN to file and pay your taxes online. Please contact the HOT Support Center at 817-210-6571 or email to obtain your login credentials. You can file your Hotel Occupancy Tax return and pay your taxes online.

How can I file and pay Hotel Occupancy Taxes?

  • By mail: make checks payable to the City of Haltom City and mail to the City of Haltom City, HOT Support Center, 8839 North Cedar Avenue #212, Fresno, CA 93720.
  • Online (you will need your new account number and PIN number): Hotel Occupancy Tax & Short-Term Rental Portal
  • By phone: call 817-210-6571 to file and pay over the phone.

Who do I contact with questions?
For questions about HOT tax accounts, filing a return, or paying a balance, please call 817-210-6571 or email For questions about business licensing, permitting, and other city requirements, please contact the City by calling 817-222-7730 or by sending an email to