Haltom City Trash & Recycling Services
Haltom City residents are offered twice a week pickup of garbage by Waste Connections. The service includes pickup of normal household waste and on-going bulk pickup of some items. There are some restrictions and some alternative options.
If you have any questions about any of the services listed below contact the City's trash & recycling provider, Waste Connections, at 817-222-2221.
In the event that you need to speak to a city representative, please contact Sidonna Foust, Director of Customer Service, at 817-222-7713.
Residential Trash & Recycling
Haltom City residents are offered twice a week pickup of garbage by Waste Connections. The service includes pickup of normal household waste and on-going bulk pickup of some items. There are some restrictions and some alternative options. Please have trash out for pickup by 7:00 a.m. Waste Connections begins their routes at 7:00 a.m. and typically finish by 7:00 p.m.. Trash cans, bags or any other items that weigh more than 50 pounds will not be picked up.
By city ordinance, trash containers can remain at the curb no longer than 24 hours. You may set your containers at the curb at 7:00 p.m. the evening before your pickup. You must pick up your containers by 7:00 p.m. the day of your pickup. Total weight of a bag and its contents may not exceed 50 pounds. A portable garbage container, 10 gallons to 32 gallons in size, made of galvanized iron, tin, high impact plastic or other suitable material, with two handles and a tight-fitting cover, is also acceptable. Items must be placed within six feet of the curb. If trash is placed at any other location, the service is considered elective (backdoor) service, and there will be an additional charge. Backdoor service is offered for both trash and recycling pickup. Limbs, leaves, grass and brush must still be placed at the curb. These items will not be picked up from any location other than the curb.
The following items are accepted under the City's recycling service contract:
- Metal Cans - Rinse and drain your metal food cans composed of tin, steel or aluminum and place loose in your bin. It is not necessary to remove the label, but please remove the lids and all food waste.
- Aluminum - Rinse all aluminum drink cans.
- Glass - Place glass jars and bottles loose in your bin. Colored glass is accepted.
- Plastic - Rinse and place soft drink liter bottles and milk jugs in your bin. You may now also include #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 7 plastics. Shampoo bottles are accepted. Please remove all caps.
- Paper - Place Dry newspaper, magazines, catalogs and other paper items such as mail, paper bags or other paper in the bottom of your bin. Slick or glossy inserts are accepted with the newspaper. Be sure that the newspaper is secured so that it doesn't fly away. Telephone books will only be accepted when the new books are distributed by Southwestern Bell Telephone.
If you have any questions about what is/isn't acceptable please contact Waste Connections at 817-222-2221.
The City of Haltom City is now offering a service allowing residents to recycle unwanted clothing, shoes, and household items with curbside pick-up on the regular Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on your address) trash and recycling collection day.
The company, Simple Recycling, provides this service at no cost to Haltom City residents. This free service is entirely voluntary and at the discretion of the residents. Those who wish to continue delivering their items to a particular charity instead can continue to do so. The main reason of offering this service to residents is to keep these items out of our landfills.
The service started February 23rd and residents will be receiving or may have already received additional information on this program. This new program only applies to single family residential households with curbside recycling pick-up. For more information please call 866-835-5068 or visit the Simple Recycling website linked above.
Items accepted include:
- Bedding (sheets, pillow cases, blankets, comforters)
- belts & ties
- coats & jackets
- fashion accessories
- handbags & purses
- hats & gloves
- sandals & slippers (in pairs)
- socks (single or in pairs)
- stuffed animals
- table linens
Items they cannot accept include:
- traditional recyclables (metal, glass & paper)
- hazardous waste
Waste Connections is not, by contract, required to remove any construction or remodeling materials, demolished buildings or debris. Hazardous waste, fecal matter, oil, sludge and any radioactive, pathological, toxic, acidic or volatile materials, dirt, concrete, rocks, bricks and large pieces of steel will not be picked up. Arrangements may be made with Waste Connections for a special pickup of some of the excluded items for an additional cost. If you would like a quote from Waste Connections for a special pickup, call them at 817 222-2221.
Brush will be picked up at the curb if it is cut into four-foot lengths and bundled. Bundles should not exceed 50 pounds in weight. Waste Connections will not haul away piles of unbundled brush and limbs.
Removal of large items such as furniture, stoves, and water heaters, heating units and any other appliances or similar bulky items from residential properties will normally occur on the same day as your 2nd scheduled pickup during the week. If the item is not picked up on the 2nd day pickup, it is recommended you wait a few days before notifying us, as Waste Connections may send a separate truck if an item is particularly bulky. Refrigerators, freezers and air conditional units will only be picked up if the resident supplies a certificate from a certified technician that CFCs (chlorinated fluorocarbons) have been properly removed.
Residents can use the Waste Connections Center, located at 2120 Minnis Dr. (see Residential Landfill Service section below).
Hazardous waste can be disposed of at the Environmental Collection Center. You will be required to show your driver’s license and Haltom City water bill. All loads must be tarped and please, no more than one bed-level pickup worth of trash.
Any missed pickups of residential garbage will be collected the same business day if notification to Waste Connections is provided by 2:00 p.m. on that day. If notification is received later than 2:00 p.m. service will be provided on the next business day. Please call Waste Connections at 817-222-2221.
Observed holidays are July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Please note that special instructions related to pick-up days will be posted on the city's home page as various holidays approach throughout the year.
Download PDF file of residential refuse pricing.
ECS recycling recently filed for bankruptcy and is being liquidated. Therefore, they are no longer providing e-recycling service for Haltom City. Haltom City is currently working to identify a new electronics recycling company. In the meantime, residents may recycle electronics at any local Best Buy retailer or Goodwill donation drop-off center.
Residential Landfill Service
Haltom City residents have access to the Waste Connections bulk drop-off station, located at 2120 Minnis Dr. All residents will be limited to dumping 16 yards and less than 1 ton of debris in a 12-month period. All loads will be regulated and defined by the Transfer Station staff. Residents are charged a fee for utilizing the convenience center once they reach their volume/weight limit. Please bring your driver’s license and water bill as proof of residency. No other utility bill will be accepted.
Waste Connections requires patrons utilizing this drop-off station to wear a hard hat and a safety vest. Haltom City residents can either:
- Purchase these items at the drop-off station - $13 for hard hat & vest (this is sold at cost)
- Bring their own hard hat & safety vest
- Borrow these items from staff when they arrive
Acceptable materials include residential/household refuse, appliances and construction/demolition materials. The center also accepts materials for recycling. There is no charge to drop off recyclables. Acceptable items include glass/metal food containers, paper, cardboard and plastic containers. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. & Saturdays 8:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Residents needs to arrive by 4:00 p.m. during the week and 11:00 a.m. on Saturdays.
For fees and information call 817-834-6638.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
Due to an inter-local agreement with the city of Fort Worth, Haltom City residents can drop off household hazardous waste at the Environmental Collection Center (ECC), located at 6400 Bridge St. in Fort Worth. Fertilizers, pesticides, oil, anti-freeze, paint, etc. should not be put out with your trash. This is a free service...however you must show proof of residency. Call the ECC at 817-392-1234.
Hours of operation are Thursday and Friday, 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Automotive fluids
- Cleaners & chemicals
- Cooking oil
- Lawn/garden/pool chemicals
- Light bulbs
- Paint & painting supplies
What's not accepted?
- Ammunition & Explosives
- Appliances & electronics
- Building materials
- Bulk trash & yard waste
- Butane/propane cylinders
- Medicines & Medical waste
- Asbestos/PCBs/radioactive items
Business, commercial and industrial waste cannot be accepted under Texas regulations.
· Residents of other participating entities should contact their garbage/recycling programs for disposal information.
- Time to Recycle and Earth911 is another resource for North Central Texas recycling options for residential, commercial and industrial customers
- The EPA offers information on a variety of non-hazardous materials recovered for recycling in the United States
- The TCEQ encourages consumers to take advantage of local electronics recycling opportunities. Texas consumers can learn how to recycle their computer equipment by visiting Texas Recycles Computers and their television equipment by visiting Texas Recycles TVs. For more information on the programs, contact the TCEQ’s Pollution Prevention and Education Section, 512-239-3143.