Genealogy & History Resources
Genealogy Website & Databases
- Castle Garden - Immigrants who arrived at the Port of New York from 1820 - 1892.
- Cyndi’s List - Comprehensive list of links that point you to genealogy sites on the internet.
- DNA Testing Guides - Comparing different DNA tests.
- FamilySearch - Discover your family’s story through historical records.
- Find a Grave - World’s largest gravesite collection.
- Heritage Quest Online (TexShare Databases; select HC Public Library, password required – TX76117) - Digital, searchable images of U.S. federal census records with ProQuest Genealogy & Local History collection.
- Internment.net - Cemetery records online.
- KnowYourDNA - Make a more informed decision on DNA testing.
- National Archives and Records Administration - Resources for genealogists. Search census records.
- Obituary Central - Find obituaries and cemeteries online.
- Online Searchable Military Databases - Directory of links to online military indexes and records for USA
- Statue of Liberty: Ellis Island Foundation - Passenger records and ship manifests; from 1820 – 1957
- Tarrant County - Vital Records: Birth, death, marriage, divorce records
- Texas State Library & Archives Commission - Genealogy Resources includes vital statistics indexes, city directories, county records, printed family and county histories, a variety of Texas government records, federal census schedules and more.
- TX GenProject - Each county webpage has online databases particular to that area, surname queries, historical background information, contact information, and more. All information is free.
- USGenWebProject - Free online genealogy help and information for every U.S. state and county. Our national site provides links to state sites, which, in turn, provide gateways to the counties.
- University of North Texas Libraries Portal to Texas History - Gateway to rare, historical, and primary source materials from or about Texas.
- Bibliography of Native North America (TexShare Databases; select HC Public Library, password required – TX76117) - All aspects of native North American culture, history and life.
- Catholic Archives of Texas - To collect, preserve & document the Catholic experience in TX from the 16th century to the present.
- The Civil War (Park National Service)
- Daughters of the Republic of Texas - To educate, research, preserve, and protect the history of the Republic of Texas.
- Liberty! The American Revolution - This site is a companion to the PBS award winning series. Contains educational resources such as a timeline of the Revolution, bibliographies, lessons and links to related sites.
- National Archives and Records Administration - Explore nation’s history through documents, photos & records.
- National Archives at Fort Worth - Permanent records created by Federal agencies & courts for Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas.
- Portal to Texas History - University of North Texas Libraries gateway to rare, historical, and primary source materials from or about Texas.
- Smithsonian Institution Archives - The world’s largest museum and research complex. There are 19 museums + the National Zoo and nine research centers around the globe.
- Tarrant County Black Historical and Genealogical Society - The Society's mission is to locate, collect, analyze, organize and preserve African-American historical contributions in Tarrant County
- Tarrant County Historical Commission - To preserve the historical heritage of Tarrant County
- Texas Digital Sanborn Maps (TexShare Databases; password required – TX76117) - Provides digital access to large-scale maps of Texas towns and cities.
- Texas Historic Sites Atlas - Search for cemeteries, courthouses, historical markers, museums, national register properties, state antiquities landmark.
- Texas Historical Commission - Instructive resources about Texas history, preservation, and heritage tourism.
- Texas History Trading Cards - These cards highlight the prominent men and women in Texas history. The cards include what Texan students need to know for TEKS requirements. For 4th & 7th grades.
- Texas Reference Center (TexShare Databases; select HC Public Library, password required – TX76117) - This is comprised of periodicals, reference books, reports and other content relevant to the state.
Tags: HCPL Online Services, Genealogy