CITY OF HALTOM CITY  5024 Broadway Ave. Haltom City, Texas 76117 817-222-7700

Planning & Inspection FAQs

On October 12, 2020, the Haltom City Council updated development codes by adopting the following codes with local amendments:

  • 2018 International Building Code
  • 2018 International Residential Code
  • 2018 International Plumbing Code
  • 2018 International Mechanical Code
  • 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
  • 2017 National Electric Code
  • 2018 International Fire Code
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
  • 2018 International Existing Building Code
  • 2018 International Property Maintenance Code
  • 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
Accessory Buildings

Do I need a permit for a 10' x 12' accessory building?

No, any building larger than 10' x 12' will require a building permit.

What classifies as a detached garage?

  • Zoning Ordinance O-2002-032-15, Section 29, Paragraph D.4. - The total floor area of the detached garage on one lot shall not exceed thirty percent (30%) of the floor area of the main building on the lot, except that this requirement shall not limit the floor area of an accessory building to less than six hundred (600) square feet.
  • Zoning Ordinance O-2002-032-15, Section 29, Paragraph D.5. - A detached garage shall not occupy more than fifty percent (50%) of the rear yard.
  • Zoning Ordinance O-2002-032-15, Section 29, Paragraph D.6. - A detached garage that exceeds six hundred (600) square feet must meet the masonry requirement of the primary structure.
  • Proper maneuvering surface (concrete or asphalt) must be provided from street to garage door opening.
Building Permit Requirements

In the City of Haltom City, building codes and ordinances have been enacted and amended by city council to ensure good, safe buildings. The permitting process is used by the City as a means of tracking construction work as it progresses. The property owner and the contractors are jointly responsible for obtaining the proper permits. All contractors must be registered with the City in order to obtain permits. Resident homeowners are exempt from the contractor registration requirements for performing their own work. All permit fees are based on valuation.

Building Permit (Commercial)

Documentation & Information Requirements

  • Building construction plans with engineer's and/or architect's seal (as required by State law) - three (3) complete sets (including site plans and landscape plans)
  • One (1) additional set of electrical and/or mechanical plans that include fire protection information, as well as any plans designating fire protection (as applicable)
  • Site plans - three (3)
  • Plat - one (1) copy of the proper's certified, recorded plat
  • Landscape plan - three (3) copies of landscape plans (minimum size 11"x17") - if required - for landscape plan review
  • Energy Code review sheet
  • TDLR number if construction is a commercial project exceeding $50,000 in valuation
Building Permit (Residential)

Documentation & Information Requirements

  • Three (3) sets of drawings on paper that is at least 8"x11" in size
  • A description of how the building or addition will be constructed - show roof, walls, foundation specifications, elevations of front and sides
  • Name and phone number of owner/general contractor doing the job
  • Value of the job
Projects That Do Not Require a Permit

These Projects Do No Require a Permit

  • Flammable liquid tanks when a Fire Department permit has been issued, except that foundations for said tanks shall require a building permit.
  • Moveable cases, counters and partitions not over five feet nine inches (5'9") high.
  • Painting, papering and similar finish work
  • Platforms, walks and decks not more than six inches (6") above grade and not over any basement of story below.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R, Division 3 Occupancy in which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons.
  • Retaining walls which are not over four feet (4') in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids. (Retaining walls placed in succession shall be considered one wall if, upon drawing a line from the bottom of the footing of the lower wall at a forty-five (45) degree angle up and towards the higher wall, the line intersects the higher wall or any material retained by the wall at any point.)
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R, Division 3, and Group U Occupancies when projection not more than fifty-four inches (54").
  • Unless otherwise exempted, separate plumbing, electrical and mechanical permits will be required for the above-exempted items.
Cell Tower Permitting - New & Existing

Will zoning approval be required for these upgrades?

Yes, Special Exception through the Zoning Board of Adjustment.

Building Permit & Zoning FAQs

If zoning approval is required, how many and what size plans do you need for the zoning approval? Do we submit this with the building permit or is there a separate application and process for this?

Survey or Site Plan in 11x17 size format. If submitting 24x36 prints, 3 copies must be submitted of all Site Plans prints.

Upload to our Online Action Center.

The building permit processes is a separate application and process.

Do you require a building permit for upgrades?


How do we file for the building permit (mail, email)?

Upload to our Online Action Center.

How many and what size plans do you require?

Two (2) copies, size 11" x 17", if plans submitted are submitted to our office.

How long does the permit process take once everything is submitted?

Five (5) business days.

How long is the permit valid for?

One hundred eighty (180) days.

Is there a plan review fee, if so, what is the cost?

Yes, 65% of the building permit fee paid at the time of the project request.

What is the cost of the building permit?

Based on value of project (see attached fee schedule).

Where do we get building permit application?

Our Online Action Center.

How can we pay for the fees?

Credit card and check payments are accepted, with a max limit of $1,000.

How do we get the permit once approved (mail, email or pick up in person)?

Print from project via our Online Action Center.

Does the general contractor need to be registered with the City of Haltom City?

Yes, the contractor will need to register prior to the building application being submitted. General contractors can register online. Please upload the driver license and certificate of insurance with City of Haltom City with address as certificate holder when requesting registration.

Electrical FAQs

What constitutes the change out of hard wired smoke detectors and new GFCI plugs?

Any service change out requires hard wired smoke detectors and GFCI plugs.

Flag Pole FAQs

Do I need permit for flag pole?

No, a permit is not required.

Flatwork (Concrete Driveways, Pads) FAQs

Does flatwork need to be permitted?

Drive approaches will need to be permitted by a licensed & bonded right-of-way contractor. Flatwork that is for future construction requires a building permit with an engineer stamped drawing. Any slab larger than 10'x10' will require a general repair permit and site plan.

Foundation Repair Requires a Building Permit

Effective July 17, 2014, the City of Haltom City requires a building permit for foundation repair. The permit fee shall be based on the value of work disclosed with the permit application via a bid, contract or estimate. An original engineer's sealed letter of required repairs must be submitted with the permit application and must adequately describe the location of piers and footings. Prior to calling for final inspection, an original engineer's final report shall be submitted to the City that verifies repairs were performed to engineered specifications.

Inspections Role In Permit Process

Permits are the first step in the City building approval process; inspections are the second step. Inspections are required throughout the course of a project to ensure that quality work has been performed. The contractor must request that the City perform the property inspections at the proper stage of work. At the time of the final building inspection a certificate of occupancy must be obtained on new and exiting commercial property before it can be utilized. Property owners should not release a contractor until a final inspection has been conducted.

Inspections - Typical Residential And Commercial

Inspections are typically required during these steps of residential & commercial work

  • Form Board Survey
  • Plumbing Rough
  • Foundation: after underground plumbing and/or electrical is inspected and approved, and all of the steel is placed in the slab, the building inspector will check the foundation for compliance
  • Framing: after the electrical, mechanical and plumbing has been inspected and approved, the building inspector will check the framing for compliance
  • Insulation: after the framing, electrical, mechanical and plumbing has been inspected and approved, the building inspector will check the insulation for compliance
  • Electric and/or Gas Meter Release: before the final building inspection, the building inspector will perform the meter release inspection(s)
  • Final: after the electrical, mechanical and plumbing have passed their final inspections, the building inspector can inspect for total completeness and final the permit. After this final inspection is approved, the space may be occupied.
Inspection - When Required

An inspection is required for all construction or work for which a permit is required and shall be subject to inspection by the building official/inspector and all such construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved by the building official/inspector.

Inspection - Scheduling

The person performing the work for inspection or the general contractor is responsible for scheduling and ensuring the work is ready for inspection. Approval as a result of an inspection shall not be construed to be an approval of a violation of the provisions of this code or of other ordinances of the jurisdiction. Inspections presuming to give authority to violate or cancel the provisions of this code or of other ordinances of the jurisdiction shall not be valid. Depending upon the type of permit and work to be performed, you may establish an inspection at the time of permitting, or by calling the Inspections Department at 817-222-7730. The telephone is answered by the Permit Technician unless she/he is on another line, away from her/his desk, or assisting customer(s) at the counter. Voice mail messages may also be left after business hours.

The information needed to request an inspection is the job address, what type of inspection you are requesting, whether you wish a morning or afternoon inspection, and your name and a call-back phone number.

Inspection - Cost

Inspection fees are paid at the time of permitting and are included in the Building Permit fees, which are based on the dollar value of the construction being done. A reinspection fee may be assessed for each inspection or reinspection where the work the inspection was called for is not complete or when corrections were not made. Reinspection fees are $50.00.

Mechanical FAQs

Why does the air conditioning unit need to be secured to the concrete pad?

IRC M1307.2

Do you require fresh air duct blast pressure test and/or a Door Test?

Only on new construction.

Permit Types Issued By The City

Permits issued by Haltom City include:

  • Accessory Building - Residential
  • Building Permits
  • Commercial - New, Addition, Remodel, Repair
  • Demolition/Moving Permits
  • Electrical Permits
  • Fence Permits
  • Garage Sales Permits
  • Foundation Repair
  • Mechanical Permits
  • Plumbing Permits
  • Residential - New, Addition, Remodel, Repair
  • Solar System
  • Street Contractor Permits - curb/gutter, drive approach, sidewalk
Permit Fees - Who Should Pay

Once your plans are finalized and you've selected a contractor, instruct the contractor to obtain the proper permits. If the contractor requires the owner to reimburse for the permit fee, ask for a receipt. Fees are determined by the value of the project and therefore may vary from project to project.

Plan Submittal FAQs

Why do I need a Rescheck or Comcheck?

To verify structure meets 2018 IECC Code.

When do I need a Soil Analysis Report?

New construction or additions (any livable/occupiable area).

Roof Replacement Requirements

The following items need to be identified on the building application:

  • Brand or year of shingles
  • Type of felt being used
  • Lumber sheathing a minimum thickness of 5/8"
  • OSB or plywood sheathing (4x8) a minimum thickness 7/16" (equals 1/2")

Why do I need to supply the decking thickness on the application if I'm getting a decking inspection?

Decking should be check by contractor before submitting application. The decking inspection is to verify the thickness so you may proceed with the new felt and shingles. If thickness is not met then contractor/homeowner will have to contact insurance company to get approved.

external links
related articles
article tags
  • 5024 Broadway Ave.
  • Haltom City, Texas 76117
  • 817-222-7700