The Haltom City Public Library has received the 2021 Achievement of Library Excellence Award from the Texas Municipal Library Directors Association (TMLDA), an affiliate of the Texas Municipal League. To successfully receive the Achievement of Library Excellence Award, the library must exhibit excellence by providing services to under-served and special populations, enhancing services, marketing in innovative ways, promoting cultural, topical, and educational programming, providing literacy support, providing summer reading clubs, pursuing collaborative efforts, supporting workforce development, providing for digital inclusion and comprehensively training staff. Of the 552 public libraries in Texas, only 59 received this award for 2021.
Since 1966 TMLDA has served to promote the public library profession, improve the methods of library service delivery, and maintain high standards of professional ethics.
The Achievement of Library Excellence Award is open to TMLDA member library directors and the libraries they represent. To receive the Achievement of Library Excellence Award, the library must support standards of excellence in the following categories:
- Services to under-served populations either through outreach, special programs, collaborations with other libraries or organizations, special classes, special collections, etc.
- Enhanced service to the public during the past year either through increase in service or a change in type of services
- Innovative and effective marketing materials highlighting services and publicity for library programs
- Collaborative efforts with community organizations
- Literacy support for all ages including summer reading programs
- Digital inclusion through public internet access, digital literacy training, and online library services
- Workforce development support
- Cultural, topical, and educational programming for adults and families
- Professional staff training to include training opportunities for staff at all levels
- Any other initiatives that speak to library excellence
TMLDA recognizes that two of the many strengths of Texas libraries are individuality and the ability to meet the specific needs of the communities served. Each award winning library has chosen to emphasize the programs and services that best support local users where they live, work, and play. While no two public libraries are alike, they each strive for excellence.
The City Council recognized library staff and library board members at the April 11, 2022 City Council Meeting.