Driving Safety/Defensive Driving Options
If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to ask the judge to take a driving safety course to dismiss the charge. The request must be made before the appearance date on the citation (21 business days from the date of the citation). It may be made either orally in person or in writing through the mail. If you were operating a motorcycle and request to take a driving safety course, you must take a motorcycle operator’s training course.
You are eligible for Driving Safety Course if you:
- Have not taken a driving safety course for a traffic offense within the last 12 months;
- Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation
- Have not committed the offense of speeding 25mph over the speed limit; and
- Have not committed one of the following offenses:
(a) Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene;
(b) Leaving Scene of Accident.
(c ) Fleeing or Attempting to Elude a Police Officer;
(d) Reckless Driving
(e) Passing a School Bus
(f) A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators;
(g) An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present.
- Did not have a commercial drivers license on the date of violation.
At the time of the request, you must do the following:
- Present proof of financial responsibility (liability insurance);
- Show proof that you hold a valid Texas Drivers License that is not a commercial drivers license
- Plead guilty or nolo contendere; and
- Pay court costs and an administrative fee totaling $114 for violations not occurring in a school zone and $139 for violations in a school zone.
You will have 90 days from the date of the request to submit the certificate from the driving safety course as well as your driving record as maintained by the Texas DPS. The driving safety course must be approved by the Texas Education Agency and a motorcycle operator’s course must be approved by the Department of Public Safety.
If you do not take the course in the time required and/or fail to present the court with a certificate of completion, the court will notify you to return to court and explain why you failed to show proof of completion. Your failure to be present at that hearing will result in a warrant for your arrest being issued. An additional charge may also be filed.
Requesting a Drivers Safety Course through the mail
In order to request it by mail, you must complete a Request for Drivers Safety form, and mail it to Haltom City Municipal Court, 5024 Broadway Ave., Haltom City, TX 76117 along with ALL of the following:
- A copy of your drivers license (you will not be eligible if you hold a commercial license).
- A copy of your automobile insurance (the policy must be in your name or you must be a listed driver).
- A check or money order payable to Haltom City Municipal Court totaling$114 for violations not occurring in a school zone and $139 for violations in a school zone.
YOUR REQUEST MUST BE RECEIVED BY YOUR SCHEDULED APPEARANCE DATE. ONCE YOU ARE APPROVED BY THE MUNICIPAL COURT, YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION LETTER. DO NOT TAKE A DEFENSIVE DRIVING COURSE UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE CONFIRMATION LETTER FROM THE COURT OR YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO SEE THE JUDGE.
FAILURE TO ENCLOSE ALL INFORMATION WILL RESULT IN A DENIAL FOR THE COURSE.