5024 Broadway Ave.
Haltom City, TX  76117

Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

carbon monoxideAs the seasons change, temperatures get colder and storms cause the loss of electricity, more families are using gas appliances to keep their homes warm. Fuel-powered devices can provide wonderful benefit to families when used properly, but they also underscore an important necessity in the home: the need for a carbon monoxide alarm.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that you cannot see, taste, or smell. It is created  when fuel, such as gasoline, kerosene, propane, natural gas, oil, wood or charcoal do not burn properly. Carbon monoxide poisoning can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or cars left running in garages. At its worst, carbon monoxide can cause severe side effects or even death.

Young children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide because of their smaller bodies. Children process carbon monoxide differently than adults, may be more severely affected by it, and may show signs sooner. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, nausea, and drowsiness.

Safekids.org has a list of tips to help eliminate risks of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.


Similarly Tagged Articles