HCFD Business Inspections
Inspectors with the Haltom City Fire Department will be out once again conducting inspections in businesses operating within the Haltom City. The goal of the inspections is to help make the city a safer place to live and work. When the inspectors arrive at your business, what can you expect? A common misconception is that the inspectors are only there to check on your fire extinguishers. Checking the fire extinguishers is important, but only one of many items they will be looking for.
The following is a short list of some of the items the inspectors will be checking:
- Fire extinguishers: must have a current inspection tag or proof of purchase within the past year. IFC 906.2, 901.6
- Exits: Exits must be clear and unobstructed. Exit lights (if so equipped) must be operable. IFC 1003.6, 1011.3
- Housekeeping: Clutter and debris is a fire and safety hazard. This is a common problem around town. IFC 315, 508.5.4
- Sprinkler systems: If your business is equipped with a fire sprinkler system, it must be serviced by a licensed technician each year. IFC 901.6.1
- Fire Alarms: If your business is equipped with a fire alarm, it must be serviced by a licensed technician each year. IFC 901.6
- Wiring: Any exposed wiring must be repaired or removed. Electrical problems will be reported to the City code enforcement and the building official. Access to the breaker panel must be maintained. IFC 605.6, 605.3
- Fire Lanes: Fire lanes must be maintained and properly painted. IFC 503.3
This list in not all inclusive. The fire inspectors will talk with you about your business and how to make it safer. Each business owner will have 10 business days to address the violations noted on the inspection. Failure to address the issues can result in a fine or fines.
If you have any question, please call/email Deputy Fire Chief Fred Napp.
Tags: Haltom City Fire/Rescue