Haltom City Public Library - Services
The Haltom City Public Library offers a variety of services to the public. Please contact library staff if you have any further questions about services offered below.
Computer use is limited to two hours or two log-ins per day (whichever comes first). Extended time can be arranged for people taking online exams and resume writing.
Limited assistance is available, but must be balanced with the needs of our other customers.
We charge 10¢ per page for black and white printing and 50¢ per page for color. We also sell floppy disks and CDs for $1.00 each, flash drives for $5.00 and earbuds for $2.00.
Free wireless Internet access is available for mobile computing. Printing is not available for wireless computers, but files may be transferred to printing computers by CD, floppy disk, or flash drive. Copyright, child protection, and other laws must be followed.
- All library materials (books, audiobooks, magazines and movies) may be checked out for three weeks.
- Any item may be renewed once, unless another individual has placed a reserve on it. Either call Telecirc at 817 871-7771 or go online. Many items are automatically renewed if they are eligible (i.e., there are no blocks, no fines of $5.00 and over and no reserves; one time only).
- The other MetrOPAC libraries have separate loan periods.
How to Get a Library Card
- Haltom City residents and business owners qualify for a free library card when they show a photo ID and a proof of residency, such as a valid driver's license, DPS identification card, voter registration card, lease agreement, utility bill, or other identifying document showing a current address. Business owners must show proof of ownership. Cards for children ages 0-17 years require a parent’s or legal guardian’s signature in person. For more information, please phone the Circulation Desk at 817 222-7785.
- The application for a new library card can be filed in person or online by clicking the “Click Here to Register Now” link.
- Non-residents living in one of the MetrOPAC cities use their own city’s library card in Haltom City as well.
- People living outside the MetrOPAC cities may apply for a non-resident card by presenting valid identification and proof of residency. This card is only valid for the Haltom City Public Library. Materials from the MetrOPAC libraries and through interlibrary loan are not available to non-residents.
- Statewide TexShare cards are available for Haltom City residents.
Fines & Fees
Haltom City charges 20¢ per day for each book that is overdue. The other MetrOPAC libraries have different charges. If your total fines are over $5, or you have materials overdue, your borrowing privileges may be suspended. Once all fines have been paid and materials have been returned, your privileges will be reinstated. The Haltom City Public Library can accept payments for the other MetrOPAC libraries. Payment by credit card may be made through your account online. The library requires a $15.00 refundable deposit to check out the following materials: ASVAB, GED & SAT study guides. This deposit will be refunded upon return of these items in good condition. You may access the ASVAB practice tests (in English) and the GED practice tests (in English & Spanish) at any time, without the need of a deposit, by going to the TexShare Databases. The login is RMN1169 and the password is TX76117.
Book Pick-Up Window/Return Chutes
The drive through pickup window (open during business hours only) allows patrons to pickup reserved materials (books, movies, audios) without leaving the car. Please call first to arrange to pickup items at the window. The telephone number is 817-222-7787. All library materials can be returned in the drive through book return at any time. Both pickup and return can be found on the west side of the building.
We are part of the MetrOPAC library agreement. Haltom City residents may use their Haltom City Library card to borrow from other MetrOPAC libraries as if they were residents of the other cities. The other MetrOPAC cities are:
We also receive deliveries from the MetrOPAC libraries five times/week. Books and movies are sent to us by request for our residents to pick up. The rules of the other library must be followed when borrowing their items.
We can ask other libraries to send us books and other library material from around the world. If you want something that cannot be found locally, ask us about it. To find out what we can request, check the WorldCat world catalog. A $3.00 charge for postage will be added per item.
MetrOPAC - The Fort Worth Area Catalog
MetrOPAC is the combined catalog for Haltom City, Benbrook, Burleson, Fort Worth, Keller, Richland Hills, and Watauga. Books and movies found in our catalog may be transferred, upon request, to any library in the MetrOPAC system for resident cardholders to pick up.
WorldCat - The World Catalog
WorldCat is a combined catalog for the entire world. Participating libraries will, at our request, send books and movies to Haltom City for our cardholders to pick up. Photocopies of newspaper and magazine articles can also be delivered when the issue and page numbers are identified.
Dear Reader Book Club
Every day, Monday through Friday, you will receive in your email a five-minute selection from a chapter of a book. By the end of the week, you'll have read 2-3 chapters. Every Monday we start a new book. Sign up now.
Texas State Library Databases (TexShare Databases)
Direct access to the Texas State Library Databases is now available for current Haltom City Public Library card holders.
Texas State Library Databases provide access to reliable and authoritative information in varying fields of interest such as genealogy & history, business resources, homework & education, health & medicine, science & technology, books & literature and many more. Various databases are offered with Spanish language content such as EBSCO host en español, Economia y Negocios, Fuente Academica, and MedicLatina. Login is RMN1169 and the password is TX76117.
Patrons can now access digital magazines through your Haltom City Public Library. Enjoy complete digital editions of popular magazines (link here), many of which are only available in this format. To access the 84 titles all you need are an email address and an HCPL library card.
- Read your magazines anytime, anywhere, on PCs, Macs, or mobile devices
- Apps are available for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, Android and Windows 8
- Download full-color magazines with interactive elements such as audio and video
- Check out an unlimited number of magazine issues, and keep them as long as you want
- No waiting or checkout period
- Intuitive searching and navigating within each magazine
ReferenceUSA is the premier source of information for business and consumer reference and research. ReferenceUSA includes:
- U.S. Businesses – Data for more than 45 million businesses includes company name, location (address and geo-location coordinates), industries, size (sales volume and number of employees), year established, names of owners and executives, and more
- U.S. Historical Businesses – Historical data for over 198 million business back to 2003
- U.S. Jobs / Internships – Custom search for over 2.5 million job postings
- U.S. New Businesses – 50,000 new businesses are added each week
- U.S. Healthcare – Search for more than 1.2 million doctors and dentists
- U.S. Standard White Pages – Search for over 150 million residents
- U.S. Consumers / Lifestyles – Search over 271 million individuals for market research and to find friends and relatives
- U.S New Movers / Homeowners – Over 300,000 movers and over 100,000 new homeowners are added each week
Overdrive - North Texas Libraries on the Go
Titles from OverDrive-powered sites can be enjoyed at your computer plus a wide variety of devices.
Pre-School Story Time
Appropriate for ages 3 and older, the Library hosts a Preschool Story Time on Thursdays from 10:30 – 11:15 a.m. The first Thursday of each month is a special puppet show.
Appropriate for ages 2 and younger, the Library hosts a Toddler Time on Fridays from 10:30 – 11:15 a.m.
Bilingual Story Time
Appropriate for infants to 5 year olds, the Library hosts a Bilingual Story Time on Wednesdays from 10:30 - 11:15 a.m. Come for bi-lingual stories in Spanish & English. Other activities, such as crafts or movies, are also featured.
The Library also hosts special story times throughout the year, including during the annual Summer Reading Program in June and July.
School Visits to the Library
Schools can arrange special visits to the library but must make arrangements at least two weeks in advance. Please contact Becky Deaton to arrange school visits to the library.
Library Programs at Schools
Literacy programming is available for schools within Haltom City. These visits must be arranged at least two weeks in advance and are subject to scheduling. Please contact Allison Long to arrange visits to schools.
We can help you find information on home and car repair, directions to places, and more. We are trained in how to find and evaluate information so we can help you find useful information faster. We can also help you locate organizations that help with educational, legal, medical, tax, debt and other problems.
The public meeting rooms are primarily for the use of the Library for conferences, meetings, activities and library programs. Programs sponsored or co-sponsored by the library or other Haltom City departments take precedent over all other programs.
As a service to the community, we also make the meeting rooms available to other local institutions, organizations and groups of civic, cultural and educational nature and individual residents when the rooms are not scheduled for use by the library or other city department. Use of the meeting rooms by these groups or individuals is subject to the usage regulations and charges listed in the policy manual. To check availability & rates click here.
All reservations are subject to cancellation in those instances where the library or other city department requires the room for its purposes. In such cases, we will notify the applicant at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled use.
Organizations, groups or individuals who fail to comply with all policies and procedures of the library, who fail to pay assessed fees and charges, who damage equipment or furnishings, or who cause disturbances shall be ineligible for use of the facility in the future.
Call our administrative office at 817 222-7790, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday - Friday, for more information and fee schedule.
We offer local and long distance fax service. Charges are $1.00 per page. The charges apply to both sending and receiving. We do not provide international faxing. Faxes may be sent from the Copy & Print Center during Library business hours. The fax number used is 817-788-1499.
AARP provides income tax preparation assistance each year from February 1, through April 15. Assistance is by appointment only on Thursdays, from 12:00 to 4:00. We make appointments at the reference desk starting the last week of January.
General Education Diploma (GED)
GED classes are held on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays from 5 - 8:00 p.m. Instructors at the Library location may be reached while class is in session at 817-222-7789. These classes are provided by the Fort Worth Independent School District, free of charge. An orientation is required before starting classes. For other locations & hours call the FWISD Adult Education Center at 817-492-7960. For dates & times at the Tarrant County College, Haltom City NE Campus, please call 817-515-6502.
We proctor exams free of charge. However, we are unable to proctor exams that require constant observation. To ask questions or arrange an exam please contact Lesly Smith, Erica Gill, Becky Deaton, Christina Barton or Grant Vaden.
We provide deliveries of books, etc., to residents confined to their homes in a temporary or permanent capacity.
Please contact Librarian Allison Long to arrange homebound service.
Tags: MetrOPAC, HCPL Lending Services, HCPL Children's Services, Storytime, HCPL Online Services, Overdrive, HCPL Homebound Services, ReferenceUSA, HCPL Computer Services, Dear Reader Book Club, TX State Library Databases