Zoning & Development Procedures

The City of Haltom City, through its Planning & Zoning Department, provides an important service to citizens and developers by helping to ensure that new construction and new businesses are in compliance with the City zoning and development ordinances and that land within the City is platted in accordance with the adopted subdivision ordinance. Also, it is through this department that these ordinances are updated periodically and assistance with zoning or other development questions is provided.

Questions regarding zoning and other development related issues may be discussed in more detail through the recommended pre-application conference provided by the City at no cost to the citizen or developer. The purpose of this service is to determine which development regulations will apply to specific properties. The City recommends this process prior to the property owner or proposed owner hiring and engineer or surveyor.

Zoning Procedures

Zoning regulates how land is used and protects the character of each district. Zoning helps protect property values and the overall quality of the community, as a whole, through controlling density of construction and intensity of land use, as well as setting standards for landscaping, screenings, building setbacks and height. Certain qualifications & procedures must be met when applying for a zoning change:

  • Pre-application conference (recommended but optional)
  • Review by staff Development Review Committee (DRC)
  • Meeting with applicant by Development Review Committee
  • If proceeding, submit a formal request
  • Application fee of $300.00
  • Staff reviews request for compliance with codes
  • Agenda date determined
  • Surrounding property owners within 200 feet of the request are notified by the City stating the time and date of the Public Hearing by the Planning and Zoning Commission (must be done ten days prior to the public hearing)
  • Planning and Zoning Commission conducts a Public Hearing and makes their recommendation to the City Council
  • Notification is sent to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram for publication for time and date of the City Council Public Hearing (must be done at least 15 days prior to the Public Hearing)
  • City Council determines approval or disapproval. If approved, the ordinance is passed on first reading
  • City Council approves ordinance on second reading at the next official council meeting
  • Ordinance is signed by the Mayor and the City Secretary
  • Copy of the signed ordinance amending the zoning is sent to the applicant

Platting Procedures

Platting is the way in which property is divided through laying out on paper or mapping each piece of land. A recorded plat indicates lots, building lines, easements, right-of-way, flood areas, boundary markers and other permanent attachments to the land. 

Before property may be divided and sold and/or a building permit is issued for construction, the property must be platted. The size of the property and available utilities determine the route to take for the platting process (preliminary and final). The platting process also requires that certain procedures be followed:

  • Pre-application conference is required
  • Review of the plat by the Development Review Committee
  • Meeting with the applicant and the Development Review Committee
  • Formal submittal of the request including application fees ($300.00 for residential and $120.00 plus $1.50 per acre for non-residential) and all other required documents
  • Staff reviews application and submits review comments to the applicant
  • Applicant re-submits with corrections
  • A meeting date with the Planning and Zoning Commission is established
  • Planning and Zoning Commission makes recommendation to the City Council
  • If a replat, notice to the newspaper is required 15 days prior to the City Council Public Hearing. (This does not apply to "first time" plats)
  • City Council conducts meeting for approval or disapproval
  • If approved, applicant submits two mylars to the Planning and Zoning Department with all required signatures on the plat documents plus a filing fee made out to Tarrant County Clerk (fee is based on number of documents to be filed)
  • City obtains the Chair of the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Mayor’s signatures on the mylars
  • City files the mylars and associated documents with Tarrant County Clerk.